Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Spreadin the real: Doug Williams 1st and still only (BHM)


January 31, 1988 was the date that is etched in black history sports...I can still remember vividly my parents and lil bro (who is actually larger in stature now) watched Super Bowl XXII where my parents were clearly rooting for the Washington Redskins to win against the heavily favored Denver Broncos with HOF QB John Elway...now my parents didn't and still don't have a NFL team (maybe my dad likes the Panthers because we live in the Carolinas [parents in SC, me and my bro in NC]) but that night they were all out Redskins fans...the reason for the loyalty was because Doug Williams, the 1st black starting quarterback in the Super Bowl was playing...

So for black history month I want to recognize Doug Williams, the 1st black starting quarterback to play in the Super Bowl (only 2 have played since, Donovan McNabb and Steve McNair) and the only black quarterback to win a Super Bowl...Doug Williams went to Grambling State University and played for the Tampa Bay Bucs & Washington Redskins in the NFL...during Super Bowl XXII he was the first QB to pass for 4 TDs in one quarter and a half...salute to Doug Williams #17 one the 70 greatest Redskins of all time (kinda gnashing my teeth to say that because I'm a Cowboys fan)

holla,
(4o)ur

No comments: