Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Random Rant vol. 40: ATCQ - Midnight Marauders

(I loved the Midnight Marauders cover so much I made my interpretation of the cover)

I just watched the Michael Rapaport directed documentary "Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest" (don't ask how I saw it but it was excellent) and I began to reminisce about ATCQ's 5 albums they released...I really got nostalgic when I started to hear a couple of songs from their 3rd album "Midnight Marauders"...in my opinion that was there best one, now this is due to the fact that I was first introduced to A Tribe Called Quest on this album...the previous 2 albums were stellar but this album was so dope...from the classic album cover (that i remixed with myself in it) to the incredible songs it was hip hop in its most inventive form...

I can remember the first time I heard the album...I was in the 7th grade (1994) riding in my older cousin's navy blue Toyota Camry...he was playing "Problems" from the cassette deck and I knew from there I had to go and pick up the tape (damn cassette tapes, that's a medium that's now a certified relic. Listen to one now and you wonder how this was considered high quality with all of the 'air' in the sound. Air, you know that low sounding 'shhhhhh' noise you hear.)...I went back and listened to the album again and just as it was in '94 its still dope...Q-Tip is an incredible producer and Phife sounds great over those jazz-infused beats...

Go download it, listen to the cd or even dust off your old tape and listen to the greatness of A Tribe Called Quest...

P.S. - the documentary finally cleared up the 4th member, Jarobi departure from the last 3 albums...i thought he got kicked out but he didn't, peep the documentary to see what happened (Michael Rapaport should pay me for all this free plugging i'm giving him)

holla,
(4o)ur

No comments: