Thursday, September 23, 2010

Random Rant vol. 28: Common - Be album circa 2005

You know when you talk to your parents or aunts & uncles they tell you that the music they listen to is better than what we listen to...well I knew I would eventually be that person that would say that to people younger than me but I didn't know it would happen this fast...i'm only 28 years old and I say that the music (hip hop music I'm speaking of) of the 90's and early early 00's was better than the mainstream stuff now...

they also say that an artist's album had to be good from start to finish because there was no such thing as tracking or fast forwarding an album (even though if you had vinyl you could change a song by picking up the needle and moving it)...you couldn't fast forward a 8-track cassette (my dad still has one [not in use though] and he actually owns an 8-track adapter for a cassette car stereo, damn that's throwback) so all the content had to be good, no filler songs...now that is true because even in the 90's hip hop artists had filler songs on albums...

but I wanna speak about an album that came out in 2005 that's a classic album for the artist and genre...that album is Common's "Be"...from start to finish the songs are impactful, full of lyrics, artistry and originality...produced mainly by KanYe West, Common went back to his soulful hip hop roots (unlike the eclectic "Electric Circus" album that I still think was dope)...you can actually listen to the album all the way through without tracking one song (a rare event in this era of the music industry)...if you haven't listened to it in a while I recommend you go back in the archives and give it another listen...its dope ish

p.s. - Soulja Boy sucks (there goes my old man hate flaring up again)

holla,
(4o)ur

No comments: